December 31, 2013   //  Posted in: Bedrooms, DIY, Flooring   //  By: Emily   //  5 responses

There will be very few occasions in our home-improving life that warrant an ALL-CAPS title and a celebration with sparklers and cake. Finishing the installation of our maple floors is one of those occasions. Happy new year to us!

Master bedroom flooring is done!

We missed our self-imposed Christmas deadline by one day, successfully finishing the racking and installation of the maple floors in the last room–our master bedroom–on the 26th after returning from a short Christmas holiday with my family. There was immediate rejoicing in that we had 16 unopened boxes of flooring (it would seem that pregnant women make for bad square footage estimators) that could be returned, or sold privately to avoid Lumber Liquidators’s insane 20% restocking fee that magically appears if you can’t return your excess within 30 days of purchasing, regardless of the volume purchased and the scope of the project. 1,500+ square feet in 30 days, 9 months pregnant? Dude, no. By the way, if you’re local to Rochester and want to buy about 300 sq. ft. of unopened 5″ prefinished Bellawood natural maple off of us for a great price, let me know, we’re looking to move it move it, and we can vouch for how easy it is to install.

I’m anticipating the day that I can take all new photos of this house in its updated state, sans carpet, sans unopened boxes of Bellawood. In the meantime, we’ve already started reinstalling the trim throughout the house, a big project itself.

Beginning to reinstall baseboard trim.

We salvaged all of the existing baseboard prior to installing the floors; Pete carefully labeled each and every piece so that we were able to replace the 50+ individual pieces in a matter of minutes. It’s been awhile since I wrote about this part of the project; we removed the trim originally because the installed floors sit slightly higher than the carpet did, meaning that the baseboards needed to be removed, repositioned, and reinstalled. Fortunately, having removed it carefully with intent to reuse saved us a lot of money, and saved us a lot of time cutting and coping new trim, though we will still need to purchase a bunch of quarter round to fully cover the 3/4″ allowance that we were required to leave for wood expansion.

All in all, we’ll be ringing in 2014 with a lot of mitering and caulking, but I’m excited to have this big project behind us so we can go about making this place looking fantastic. Also, looking forward to having a dining room table back; it has been disassembled since October.

To those of you who stuck with us through this long and drawn out project, thank you. I’ll get around to rewarding you with an extensive before and after tour as soon as the boxes are cleared and our Christmas tree is down. More fun not-related-to-flooring things to share in the next few days! Happy New Year, all.

  • Harper
    8 months ago - Reply

    Congrats! It looks great (not that I ever had any doubts).

  • Staci
    8 months ago - Reply

    It looks absolutely fabulous! It’s amazing how bright the rooms look now. Can’t wait to see more!

    • Emily
      8 months ago -

      Definitely need to take new photos of all of the rooms… the floors make such a huge difference!

  • Kimberley
    8 months ago - Reply

    Just seeing this. Congratulations! The floors are so lovely. Happy New Year!

    • Emily
      8 months ago -

      Thanks Kimberley! Happy New Year to you too!

Leave a Comment