DIY Network: Our 4-Day Tiling Marathon

January 26, 2012   //  Posted in: Bathroom, DIY, DIY Network Projects   //  By: Emily   //  6 responses

As you’ll read in this week’s bathroom renovation update on DIY Network, we spent all of days 5, 6, 7, and 8 covered in thin-set and installing tiles. Home improvement shows are clearly misleading, as I thought this part of the job might take 8-hours, tops. Boy, was I wrong.

Our first day looked something more like this:

Sorry that this video has mammoth black bars on the left and right, I’m a newbie when it comes to DIY videography and didn’t know that I’d have a problem with my portrait-positioned camera. Learning curve!

Tiling progress!

Remember to check in on DIY Network’s blog The Pegboard and read about the whole experience, beginning to end, with little how-to’s scattered in between.

If you missed the beginning of this bathroom renovation series, catch up for yourself by perusing these posts:

1. A little video introduction and tour!
  2. An overview of the materials I’ve been purchasing! Because what DIY-crazed girl wouldn’t love tile shopping?
  3. And getting down and dirty with demolition!
  4. Training a beginner to repair a drain pipe and install a bathtub!
  5. Building custom shower shelving, and learning how to install HardiBacker.
  6. And learning more than I ever thought I’d know about shower valves and PEX.
Comments

Great job! *clinks coffee mugs with you*

• Wawa

I am so happy to hear that tiling took you multiple days. I’d started to think that MH and I were defective tilers or something with our 3 days for a shower surround.

Three days! Rock on. I was so drained by the end of the first day that I thought the two end walls might take a week.

• Wawa

I guess I should add that those three days did not include grouting. Or cutting. We did a full dry-lay and pre-cut all of our tiles the week before because we were (rightly) paranoid about not having enough of the (discontinued) tile. And grouting took two days. Now that I think about it I’m back to thinking we’re just really slow.

The cutting was definitely time consuming. We were way too nervous to cut pieces in advance! We literally went piece-by-piece.

• kit @ DIYdiva

Love it! The tile is looking great. It’s one of those things I always underestimate as well… how long could it possibly take to just slap some tile up there? Oh… eternity.